|Windows 10 news you can use, June 2018 edition
Providing insights into Windows 10 deployment & management, security & compliance, and productivity
Also see other news related to Windows 10
Latest Windows 10 1803 feature upgrade news:
- Administrative Templates and GPO Reference Spreadsheet for Windows 10 1803 are available for download.
- Features deprecated in Windows 10 1803.
- NEW: Upgrade to Windows 10 1803 without suspending BitLocker. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2018/05/02/new-upgrade-to-windows-10-1803-without-suspending-bitlocker
- Official release of the security configuration baseline settings for Windows 10 1803.
- Updated Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows 10 1803. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520
- New features for Microsoft Edge extensions in the Windows 10 April 2018 Update: Extensions can now be enabled for InPrivate browsing, and notifications API for extensions.
- New Delivery Optimization options in Windows 10 1803. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-delivery-optimization#delivery-optimization-options
|Deployment & Management|
1) SetupDiag.exe is a standalone diagnostic tool that can be used to obtain details about why a Windows 10 upgrade was unsuccessful. It works by examining Windows Setup log files then attempts to parse these log files to determine the root cause of a failure to update or upgrade the computer to Windows 10. SetupDiag can be run on the computer that failed to update, or you can export logs from the computer to another location and run SetupDiag in offline mode.
2) Defining application taxonomies to drive your application compatibility testing. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/cjacks/2018/04/30/defining-app-tranches-to-drive-your-app-compat-testing
3) Announcing Delivery Optimization Insights for Windows Analytics: Update Compliance https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/upgradeanalytics/2017/12/17/announcing-post-upgrade-insights-in-upgrade-readiness
4) Enterprise-ready in the age of Windows as a service https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/Enterprise-ready-in-the-age-of-Windows-as-a-service/ba-p/188712
5) New IT Pro application packaging tool: MSIX. This is the next generation of application delivery.
- Build 2018 public announcement (short).
- MSIX: Inside and Out. Foundational understanding about MSIX for why the solution is needed and how it functions.
- Accelerating Windows 10 enterprise app deployment with MSIX. Includes tools for converting legacy applications (including App-V) to MSIX. https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/events/build/content/accelerating-windows-10-enterprise-app-deployment
6) Dive on Windows 10 co-management with Intune and System Center Configuration Manager.
7) Learn how to create a Windows 10 kiosk that runs multiple apps. With Windows 10, version 1803, you can also: configure a single-app kiosk profile in your XML file, assign group accounts to a config profile, and configure an account to sign in automatically.
8) Video to learn how to setup Windows Autopilot in just over 3-minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYVptkpsOqs
|Security & Compliance|
1) Video showcasing protection capabilities against the most sophisticated threats with Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (WDATP). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JojhJ0Ib8vU
2) Microsoft’s Windows Defender ATP team is committed to delivering industry-leading protection, customer choice, and transparency on the quality of our solutions. In the continued spirit of these principles, we want to share the results of the January-February 2018 test conducted by independent antivirus tester AV-TEST and provide a transparency report that augments the test findings with contextual information to help our customers make informed decisions about Windows Defender ATP adoption. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/05/24/adding-transparency-and-context-into-industry-av-test-results
3) IT showcase: Microsoft uses Windows Defender Antivirus to boost malware protection. Updated May 2018. https://www.microsoft.com/itshowcase/Article/Content/752/Microsoft-uses-Windows-Defender-Antivirus-to-boost-malware-protection
4) Adversaries are reusing credentials all the time; How can you check and prevent credential reuse attacks? Deny them by leveraging new (and old) security features. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/motiba/2018/05/06/avoiding-credentials-reuse-attacks
5) Use Windows Information Protection (WIP) to help make accidental data leakage a thing of the past. WIP protects users and organizations from accidental leaks via copy-and-paste, drag-and-drop, removable storage (e.g., USB thumb drives), and unauthorized applications (e.g., non-work cloud storage providers). https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/05/15/use-windows-information-protection-wip-to-help-make-accidental-data-leakage-a-thing-of-the-past
6) Windows Insider Preview build 17672 introduced support for the SameSite cookies standard in Microsoft Edge, ahead of a planned rollout in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. Same-site cookies enable more protection for users against cross-site request forgery (CSRF) attacks. To broaden the security benefits of this feature, we plan to service Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 on the Windows 10 Creators Update and newer to support same-site cookies as well, allowing sites to rely on same-site cookies as a defense against CSRF and other related cross-site timing and cross-site information-leakage attacks.
7) Big news in our drive to eliminate passwords: FIDO2 / WebAuthn Reaches Candidate Recommendation status! This will allow Microsoft customers to use any Microsoft identity to sign-in using a FIDO device instead of a password on any FIDO2 compatible device or browser – for both personal Microsoft accounts and organizational identities based on Azure Active Directory. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2018/04/12/big-news-in-our-drive-to-eliminate-passwords-fido2-webauthn-reaches-candidate-recommendation-status
8) The new Windows Privacy hub converges related content about Windows privacy on docs.microsoft.com. Here you can find new guidance to help IT decision makers get ready for GDPR, a list of Windows 10 services configuration settings used for personal data privacy protection, understand Windows diagnostic data, and much more.
- Privacy hub: https://docs.microsoft.com/windows/privacy
- Privacy guidance for GDPR: https://docs.microsoft.com/windows/privacy/gdpr-it-guidance
- Configuration settings for Windows 10 services: https://docs.microsoft.com/windows/privacy/windows-personal-data-services-configuration
1) Introducing two new mixed reality business applications: Microsoft Remote Assist and Microsoft Layout. http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/05/07/introducing-two-new-mixed-reality-business-applications-microsoft-remote-assist-and-microsoft-layout
2) Windows 10 Tip: How to enable Focus Assist in the Windows 10 April 2018 Update.
3) Microsoft Build 2018 highlights for productivity advancements coming to Windows 10.
- A new way to connect your phone to your PC with Windows 10 that enables instant access to text messages, photos, and notifications.
- An updated Microsoft Launcher application on Android that will support Enterprise customers with easy access to line of business applications via Microsoft Intune.
- Microsoft Launcher on Android will also support Timeline for cross-device application launching. Today, your Microsoft Edge browsing sessions on your iPhone or iPad are included in the Timeline experience on your Windows 10 PC.
- Updates to Sets, an easier way to organize your stuff and get back to what you were doing. With Sets, what belongs together stays together, making it easier and faster to create and be productive.
4) Windows 10 Tip: A guide to using the basic tools in Paint 3D. http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/05/21/windows-10-tip-a-guide-to-the-basic-tools-in-paint-3d
5) What happens when three identical devices run different browsers? The Microsoft Edge team wanted to find out. This experiment showed that battery life on a PC running Microsoft Edge lasts 98% longer than Mozilla Firefox and 14% longer than Google Chrome. Windows 10 April 2018 Update Edition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T24bRAm8MT0
6) Windows 10 Tip: Capture your thoughts easily with Dictation. Did you know that with the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, it’s now easier than ever to take a note or write a paper – with just your voice, using your device’s microphone? http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/05/29/windows-10-tip-capture-your-thoughts-easily-with-dictation
7) At Microsoft, we want to empower every person and every organization to achieve more. We deeply believe everyone should have the opportunity to reach their potential and we can help by empowering all people, regardless of their abilities. Global Accessibility Awareness Day gives us the chance to celebrate our differences and reflect on the ways in which we continue to strive to make Windows more accessible to everyone in their everyday life. Windows for each of us. http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/05/16/celebrating-global-accessibility-awareness-day
|In other news related to Windows 10…|
- Envisioning your security deployment. Envisioning is a systematic way to match Microsoft 365 Security features with relevant company goals. It involves identifying and prioritizing relevant scenarios while learning about the tools and resources available as you plan for your rollout. In many ways, this stage is the most critical part of your journey, as you’re setting the business goals you’ll measure your success against later. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/05/01/first-things-first-envisioning-your-security-deployment
- Windows IoT accelerates the intelligent edge with the Windows 10 April 2018 Update.
- Making IT simpler with a modern workplace…it’s time for a modern desktop. What do we mean by a “modern desktop?” Learn more at. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2018/04/27/making-it-simpler-with-a-modern-workplace
- Building a world without passwords. When thinking about creating a world without passwords, Microsoft wants to deliver on two key promises. (1) User promise: End-users should never have to deal with passwords in their day-to-day lives. (2) Security promise: User credentials cannot be cracked, breached, or phished. Microsoft’s philosophy is to devalue the password and replace it with something that eradicates its use for the end user and drains its value for an attacker. Windows Hello, the Microsoft Authenticator app, and FIDO2 security keys are current password-replacement offerings. The Windows 10 April 2018 Update, when configured in S mode, does not require passwords. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/05/01/building-a-world-without-passwords
- Securing the modern workplace with Microsoft 365 threat protection.
- Part 1: The roots of Microsoft 365 threat protection. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/04/24/securing-the-modern-workplace-with-microsoft-365-threat-protection-part-1
- Part 2: Protecting the modern workplace against Ransomware. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/05/02/securing-the-modern-workplace-with-microsoft-365-threat-protection-part-2
- Part 3: Detecting ransomware in the modern workplace. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/05/08/securing-the-modern-workplace-with-microsoft-365-threat-protection-part-3
- Part 4: Responding to ransomware in the Modern Workplace https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/05/16/securing-the-modern-workplace-with-microsoft-365-threat-protection-part-4
- Safeguard individual privacy rights under GDPR with the Microsoft intelligent cloud.