Month: April 2018
Windows 10 News You Can Use – April 2018
|Windows 10 news you can use, April 2018 edition
Providing insights into Windows 10 deployment & management, security & compliance, and productivity
Also see other news related to Windows 10
|Deployment & Management|
1) Explore the results of a recent Forrester study and learn how to take advantage of new cloud functionality to improve the end user computing operations lifecycle and leverage the ease and flexibility of the cloud for device management. https://info.microsoft.com/ModernizeYourDeviceManagement.html
2) Afraid of Windows 10 with Azure AD join? Michael Niehaus demystifies AADJ and provides practical guidance to try it out!
Part 1: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2018/01/19/afraid-of-windows-10-with-azure-ad-join-try-it-out-part-1
Part 2: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2018/02/21/afraid-of-windows-10-with-azure-ad-join-try-it-out-part-2
3) In case you missed it, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT), build 8450 was released in late December, offering support for Windows 10, version 1709; the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 10, version 1709; and System Center Configuration Manager, version 1710. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msdeployment/2017/12/21/mdt-8450-now-available
4) Watch a free webinar to learn how EMS can help you manage and secure user identities, devices, apps, and data across all of your Windows devices, iOS, macOS, and Android. This one-hour session includes: 1) Securing access to company email, files, and apps stored in the cloud and on-premises, 2) Protecting company data on all endpoints, 3) Modernizing Windows 10 management.
5) With the 1710 update to ConfigMgr and the 1709 update to Windows 10, we’ve provided the foundations of our solution to bridge Windows modernization through Co-Management. This bridge is an entry-point for our customers to start their transitions to modern management – a path that leads traditional, domain-joined and ConfigMgr-managed solutions, to a deployment of Azure Active Directory and Intune. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2018/02/07/the-future-is-on-the-other-side-of-this-bridge
6) The documentation team has an article with the current list of UWP provisioned (in-box) and installed (from the store on first logon) for various Windows 10 releases. But one thing that isn’t reflected in that documentation: the list of apps installed from the store can be different depending on the type of account you sign in with, by the SKU that you are using, and even by the region of the world the device is in. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2018/03/13/more-on-included-windows-10-apps
7) An updated version of System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP) is now available which adds support for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016. SCUP enables independent software vendors or line-of-business application developers to manage custom updates.
8) The AskPFEPlat team is here today with you in force. Recently they put together 10 Tips and Tricks from the Field – a collection of tips and tricks in our tool belt that they use on occasion. They wanted share these with all their readers in-an-effort to make your day a little easier. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2018/03/19/10-tips-and-tricks-from-the-field
9) Moving from project to process: digital transformation with Windows as a service.
|Security & Compliance|
1) How to enable BitLocker Drive Encryption and automate the process for an AutoPilot device that is provisioned for a standard user using the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/showmewindows/2018/01/18/how-to-enable-bitlocker-and-escrow-the-keys-to-azure-ad-when-using-autopilot-for-standard-users
2) Windows Defender System Guard: Making a leap forward in platform security with memory integrity.
3) Windows 10 in S-Mode coming soon to all editions of Windows 10. http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/03/07/windows-10-s-mode-coming-soon-editions-windows-10
4) Learn from the Windows Defender Research group about protecting corporate networks from cryptocurrency miners with the security capabilities in Windows 10. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/03/13/invisible-resource-thieves-the-increasing-threat-of-cryptocurrency-miners
5) Announcing a set of new preview features for Windows Defender ATP, which includes capabilities such as Automated Investigation and Response (AIRS), advanced hunting tools for SecOps, role-based access controls, Azure ATP integration, insights into additional Win10 security capabilities, and more! https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/What-s-New/WDATP-preview-features-are-now-ON/td-p/170598
6) Guided lab to get Windows Hello for Business to work on Windows 10 to show the user experience and provide some lessons learned. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/chadcox/2018/03/19/my-notes-on-setting-up-a-poc-windows-hello-for-business-lab-using-hybrid-key-trust
7) Over the last year, we’ve talked about how we’re investing in new innovations to address today’s challenging threat landscape, what we’ve delivered, and how it will change the dynamics. Today, I want to share the results of our new antivirus capabilities in Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) which are genuinely incredible because they will directly benefit the work you are doing. Read more on why Windows Defender Antivirus is the most deployed in the enterprise. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/03/22/why-windows-defender-antivirus-is-the-most-deployed-in-the-enterprise
1) Windows 10 Tip: Three ways you can personalize your desktop with fun themes and colors.
2) Windows 10 Tip: Clear your workspace in one of two simple steps.
3) Windows 10 Accessibility: What to expect in the year ahead. http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/03/19/windows-10-accessibility-what-to-expect-in-the-year-ahead
4) Windows 10 Tip: Six keyboard shortcuts to help you find what you’re looking for. http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/03/26/windows-10-tip-six-keyboard-shortcuts-to-help-you-find-what-youre-looking-for
|Other news related to Windows 10…|
- We are delighted to announce that we have released version 1802 for the Current Branch (CB) of System Center Configuration Manager that includes new features and product enhancements! https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2018/03/22/now-available-update-1802-for-system-center-configuration-manager
- Webinar: Learn how new Windows Defender ATP advancements can help you protect against the latest threats and enable your organization to detect and respond to highly sophisticated, advanced attacks. https://info.microsoft.com/WindowsDefenderATPdetectandrespondtohighlysophisticatedadvancedattacks-OnDemandRegistration.html
- Windows Defender Antivirus blocked more than 80,000 instances of several sophisticated trojans that exhibited advanced cross-process injection techniques, persistence mechanisms, and evasion methods. Behavior-based signals coupled with cloud-powered machine learning uncovered this new wave of infection attempts. Within the next 12 hours, more than 400,000 instances were recorded in the global encounters. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/03/07/behavior-monitoring-combined-with-machine-learning-spoils-a-massive-dofoil-coin-mining-campaign
- Tips for getting started on your security deployment. Microsoft has provided a sampling of the most common security scenarios customers like you may be wanting to accomplish. To help you envision your plan, we provided the optimum combination of Microsoft 365 products and features you need to bring your scenarios to life with Microsoft security. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/03/06/tips-for-getting-started-on-your-security-deployment
- FinFisher exposed: A security researcher’s tale of defeating traps, tricks, and complex virtual machines. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/03/01/finfisher-exposed-a-researchers-tale-of-defeating-traps-tricks-and-complex-virtual-machines
- Microsoft Security Intelligence Report volume 23 is now available for download. The report is based on Microsoft’s analysis of on-premises systems and cloud services, focuses on threat trends since February 2017. Here are three key themes from the report: 1) Botnets continue to impact millions of computers globally. 2) Easy marks methods like phishing are commonly used by cybercriminals. 3) Ransomware remains a force to be reckoned with. Deep dive webcast on the report to be held April 10th. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/03/15/microsoft-security-intelligence-report-volume-23-is-now-available
- Microsoft has a service designed specifically to help you accelerate your Microsoft Security deployment across your organization: FastTrack for Microsoft 365. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/03/20/accelerate-your-security-deployment-with-fasttrack-for-microsoft-365
- In this comprehensive overview of the Microsoft 365 Security offering, Brad Anderson (CVP, Enterprise Mobility) shares how he talks to customers about the unique and powerful M365 Security story. Brad offers an in-depth look at identity-driven security, information protection, threat protection, and security management.