Month: June 2012
Catapult Systems Recognized as 2012 Microsoft Systems Management Partner of the Year
Pretty cool – Catapult Systems Recognized as 2012 Microsoft Systems Management Partner of the Year. I’m honored to be part of such a great team of folks at Catapult!
Console connection error 0x800706BA
Ran into a situation with a remote CM12 console being unable to connect to a site server. According to the local SMSAdminUI.log file:
Transport error; failed to connect, message: 'The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) '\r\n Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.SmsConnectionException \r\n The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)\r\n at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryProcessor.ExecuteQuery (String query, Int32 blockSize, Dictionary`2 contextInformation)
Initial troubleshooting indicated that this was a problem with the Windows Firewall blocking remote administration. However, the firewall was off one the site server. Yet some posts indicated that the ports needed to be allowed, regardless of the firewall being on/off. So I opened up those, but it still couldn’t connect.
I took a step back and went to the basics – could I ping the FQDN? No, I couldn’t! Yahtzee! I could ping the short name just fine, so I just needed to have Windows map the IP to the FQDN. So as a quick fix, I just added an entry into the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\Hosts file – and voila, the remote CM12 console could now connect!
VBScript to delete Novell registry keys
Recently I created a script for a colleague that will recursively delete some Novell registry keys if found in HKEY_USERS. It doesn’t check if the key exists first, it’ll just try to delete it. However, if the key does exist and does have subkeys, it will delete the subkeys first. Hopefully this will get the job done if you need something like this. To test it first, simply uncomment the wscript.echo statements and run on a test system.
'On Error Resume Next Const HKU = &H80000003 Set objRegistry = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:StdRegProv") ' Delete first key strKeyPath = "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Novell GroupWise" objRegistry.EnumKey HKU, "", arrSubkeys1 For Each strSubkey in arrSubkeys1 'wscript.echo cstr(strSubkey) DeleteSubkeys HKU, cstr(strSubkey) & "\" & strKeypath Next ' Delete second key strKeyPath = "Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Novell Default Settings" objRegistry.EnumKey HKU, "", arrSubkeys2 For Each strSubkey in arrSubkeys2 'wscript.echo cstr(strSubkey) DeleteSubkeys HKU, cstr(strSubkey) & "\" & strKeypath Next wscript.quit 0 '============================================================ Sub DeleteSubkeys(HKU, strKeyPath) objRegistry.EnumKey HKU, strKeyPath, arrSubkeys3 If IsArray(arrSubkeys3) Then For Each strSubkey In arrSubkeys3 DeleteSubkeys HKU, strKeyPath & "\" & strSubkey Next End If objRegistry.DeleteKey HKU, strKeyPath 'wscript.echo "Deleted: " & strKeyPath End Sub