I use the free VMWare Server 2.0.2 to host my virtual machines (our current workstation images) for development and troubleshooting. We’re in progress of migrating our desktops to Windows 7 with Office 2010, so naturally I have a VM with the image that we are deploying. Normally this isn’t a problem. However, I have experienced a few problems with Win7 on VMWare Server 2:
- Graphics fail to function after installing VMWare Tools and only shows a blank black screen once Windows starts
- The VM hangs when doing some “intense” graphics processing. What I really mean by this is the VM will lock up if you do anything too quickly…like browsing the Internet.
- The fancy Aero graphics does not function (e.g. Windows is running in “basic” graphics mode)
My solutions to these are
- When installing the VMWare Tools, do not install the VGA graphics driver
- Increase the VM’s video RAM size by adding the below line to the .vmx file (this particular value equals 64 MB)
svga.vramSize = “64000000”
- OK, so I don’t have this one working yet, but I’m getting there :-) If you know the answer, please share!