I was putting this information together for an architecture document. Thought I’d share it because this shows why I love SMS Installer!
- Usage: Installation “wrapper” to automate tasks such as initiating installation with parameters, reading/writing registry values, writing log files, if/then/else evaluations, dialog boxes, etc.
- Pros: Robust application with an easy to use GUI that is simple for others to learn. Scripting knowledge and/or experience is not required. The compiled executable cannot be changed except through the SMS Installer application.
- Cons: Various limitations on processes that can run.
VBScript / PowerShell
- Usage: Perform complex automation tasks
- Pros: Gives the ability to automate complex changes that cannot be accomplished using SMS Installer.
- Cons: Requires scripting knowledge and/or experience. Is highly sensitive to changes in the script, which can have a negative impact if code is not properly written.