I finally completed upgrading our SCCM 2007 central site (and two secondary sites) to SP2. Though it was successful, there were two issues that occurred as a result of the upgrade which may be useful for you to watch for.
The first issue is that I was unable to update any distribution points for packages or adding new distribution points to a package. This was being caused by a malfunctioning Distribution Manager in which the changes were being queued and not processed.
- Issue can first be identified by noticing that updating package distribution points is “stuck” in a state of “Install Pending”
- Check the distmgr.log – it may show that every the manager is attempting to validate every single package on every single distribution point…one at a time.
- If the distmgr.log will show a line that says “GetObject Failed error 0x8007003
- If a file named “RESETISAPI.TRN” exists within the DistMgr.box
- Then the solution is founded in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/969163 for the second solution.
The second issue that I experienced with the inability for unknown computers to know that there was a task sequence assigned to run. Short of the long story is that I fixed the situation by deleting the existing advertisements and recreating them.