The upgrade path for my SCCM 2007 R2 to SP2 is as below. I thought it may be helpful to someone out there…
- Disable any advertised OSD task sequences
- Make a backup copy of the default boot.wim files
- Ensure a recent sucesseful site backup by reviewing smsbkup.log
- Update server with any critical Windows and SQL updates
- Uninstall WAIK 1.1
- Reset all counts for status messages on the sites to make for easier troubleshooting post upgrade
- Upgrade WSUS to 3.0 SP2
- Install SCCM 2007 SP2
- Upgrade secondary sites from the console
- Upgrade Nomad Branch to the latest version (if you use it in your environment)
- Update the distribution points for any packaged SCCM clients
- Re-establish classifications for Software Updates – this is to correct a known issue where the classifications are reset during the SP2 upgrade. This is done by going into Site Settings > Component Config > Software Update Point Component > Classifications tab.
- Re-establish products for Software Updates. This is done by going in the same SUP Component, but on the Products tab.
- Re-establish customizations within the default boot images. For example, we have trace32 in our boot images, so I needed to put them back.
- Re-establish customizations to SMS_def.mof and Configuration.mof
- Re-enable the disabled OSD task sequences
See the following post on my post upgrade tasks, which will occur in the months following the upgrade