Ever needed to know how to silently install an HP SoftPaq? I recently needed to figure out the switches for approximately 75 individual SoftPaqs. Fortunately, HP has standardized the switch to extract the setup files from the InstallShield executable.
- From a command line, simply call the .exe with /s to perform a silent extraction.
Note: In some cases, no additional switches will be necessary and InstallShield will pass to the setup program the command to silently install. If this is the case, then mark this as the only install switch you need.
- Change the working directory to where the files were just extracted.
- Do a directory list to find the name of the setup file, which will likely be Setup.exe
- Discover the switches that will work for that setup program. This could be anything of the following
- /S /v/qn
- /k – This is switch is very common for ATI Graphics controllers!
- Once you have found the silent install switches for the setup program, then you’re final switches become /s /a /SetupSwitch(es)
For BIOS related SoftPaqs, I find that it’s easiest to extract all of the files and then run HPQFlash.exe -s